The Chapel

The small chapel was erected in the year 1697 and retains its original stone altar from when it was originally consecrated.

This small space immediately transports back in time and into a state of sublime silence and peace.

The architrave above the entrance has the Latin phrase “ IPSA CARMELI VIRGO NOS ADIUVET ” (The Virgin of Carmelo will help us), a dedication to the figure of the Virgin of Carmel, to whom the friars of the Monastery were devoted.

The renovation unearthed almost intact precious frescoes from the 17th century adorning the back wall and side walls of the Chapel.

The presence of frescos depicting Saints of different Orders, testifies that the Monastery was on the Appian Way, the route pilgrims used to walk from Rome to embark in Brindisi for the Holy Land.

Here, these ancient travelers, used to find refreshment and peace to face their long journey.